Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Theres such a thing as a free lunch... or is there...

The collegue is gonna leave soon... In fact, he left a huge pile of paper for us to sort. He's been with the company for 2 years... and all he will get at the end for leaving is a card and probably a small gift. He's off to make his own mark in the world, by opening a cafe/book store. I think if I wanted to start my business, that's probably what I'd do. I'll open a small store, which imports directly from overseas, when it gets released. And charge them a reading fee, or a borrowing fee. Depends on the case I suppose. And then I'll probably have a bubble tea operation going on as well. Or a cafe style. Of course, in order to have something like this, you need to have contacts from overseas, and you probably need somebody enthusiastic enough to open the store when you don't feel like working... Anyways, today I bought my own lunch, but then since everybody was ordering thai, I also ordered a lunch box. Except that I didn't really want to. Because I was afraid I would have to pay for it. But thankfully I didn't have to. So it was a free lunch. I had to put my prepared lunch in the fridge downstairs, hopefully it won't get nicked... The same goes for my supervisor too... But with the free lunch... came the feeling of hunger. Why? BECAUSE IT WAS A SMALL PORTION! I suppose its enough for somebody tiny. But for a bigger sized guy like me, I'd probably need to eat at least 2 of those lunches to feel full. Work in the afternoon was fine. Then about 1/2 hour before we're meant to leave, marketing from upstairs want to arrange some stuff. which took us to 6pm... so I had to do OT... And those things that we had to carry... damned heavy, like 10 kg each... over 30 boxes... feels like moving t-shirts, except these boxes are a bit more fragile than t-shirts... Oh well... 30 mins of moving boxes for 0.75 hour's pay. Not bad :P Think tomorrow will have to move more boxes as well. Oh yeah, nostalgia is a funny thing... I was sweeping the floor, when I smelled something which had burnt... like a far away forest fire or something. Except that I thought it smelt exactly like Taiwan's night markets... weird huh...

2 comments:

Flo said...

I felt so poetic as soon as I saw the word 'nostalgia'...'wandering in a night market, feeling the good old days coming back to me...' hahaha~ how come you didn't get your prepared lunch if you still felt hungry! The idea to open such a store is cool--especiallly when you enjoy reading such stuff too. ah...xin ku le, anyway.

Ken said...

Well... it bought back the memories... which I missed :P And I didn't wanna eat the meal I had prepared for me since I would be super full... the meal I had today (from yesterday) was pretty much the whole lunchbox, which is alot... And the bookshop idea is cool, since I'll be importing manga and anime :P ho ho ho :P maybe computer mags... who knows :P