Monday, September 06, 2004

Never do this...

Try to lift a 100 kg kiosk with another person. Yep, two people lifting 100 kg is pure madness. One of the reason is that you can get seriously hurt if it falls on you, another is that you can f*ck your wrist up... Thats what happened to me... lucky the first reason didn't happen, otherwise I might not be here right now... Might be a real manga in a 3D world... But let me recap what happened to me today... I woke up at 7... strange, I didn't know I can wake up so early. Then I fell back for another 55 mins of snooze time, this time feeling tired... at 7:55. Got up, had breakfast, then tried to start the car... it starts, but then chokes. I think I'm in trouble. After turning on the engine and stepping on the gas, it works... but hell, its gonna be a bad week since I won't have time to get the car tuned 'up' to have higher revs... I am scared of actually idling at any place, in a queue, or at the lights... cos it could literally die on me. As it happened this arvo. But I am jumping ahead of myself. I got to work without real hassle. The gasket does work, but still... the engine heat level crept up to about 10%... but when I open the radiator cap, water still is there! I'm amazed! It actually is keeping water in there... thats great... worth $165. Ok. I forgot to mention this, but friday they mentioned that they wonder if they can ask the warehouse supervisor to spare a warehouse guy to help pack up at the Spring Home Show... since my collegue didn't wanna go, I went. I got some packing gear, couldn't bring bubble wrap cos its so big, and headed over at 10. Got there at 10:10, since it was only 4.5 km away... Car was still having ignition problems... I took a longer drive, past the entrance cos I didn't know where it was!! I finally took a roundabout turn and then got into the entrance, and then parked about 50 meters away from where I was supposed to be. The exhibition finished yesterday, and practically everybody's already packed up and left, except our company's stand. This is how unorganised the services are, since they have the new logistic guy... they even said that I should've contacted them about the bubble wrap, but in my 'haste' I didn't. I think its more to 'experience'... I don't think we used bubble wrap for these stands... -_-. But anyways, I was there with 3 other guys (well, 2 ladies and 1 guy). The ladies left around 11:30 since they 'had things to do'. So it was me and the guy. We had to pack away all the boxes and stands. There were 4 Stands. Each stand was about 100 kg. And it was only me and him. Can u see it now. A guy would have problems lifting 50kg, let alone splitting it between 2 people. And it was 4 pieces! Anyways, we packed the boxes and that was that. Then it was onto the kiosks... Thats when it got interesting... see down here, 5km makes.... oops I drifted off there for a second. When we last handled kiosks, we had minimum 4 people... at Martin place (the night OT). That wasn't easy either! This time its incredibly hard. Thats why I think my wrist is very sore because had to lift up a corner to put it on the trolley jack. There are no handles or holes to get leverage... so thats why it hurt my wrist. To make things worse my mobile rang when I was letting one of the kiosks down... Nearly had an accident, (when the mobile buzzes at your leg... thats a.. feeling) but lucky put it down first... then answered the call. Seem that person has the knack to call at the most busy time of the day. But anyways, no death here. Which is good. Then it was all done, and I went back to the warehouse... except that my car choked again while at the intersection -_- thats scary :P the revs of the car was fluctuating, then it just went dead... so I went 'shit' and restarted the engine... and it was gonna die... :( so I kept the accelerator down a little, and managed to get back safely... 4.5km is a long way if your car was gonna die at any time, believe me. Then, after getting to work, had a very quick lunch... 'bao zi' from last week, frozen, defrosted, steamed, then microwaved. Still good afterall, since I'm hungry from working 3 hours (yeah finished at 1pm). And then work was crazy, since they had a big show in Perth next week... so had to prepare alot of pallets and that took all arvo... But being true professionals we are, we got it down, no sweat. All done before 5:30. Just. And I went home and car was feeling a bit better after two restarts... think it prefers cooler weather @_@. Definately have to get the car tuned thats for sure!.

And I'm aware of the irony of saying that I got a f*cked up wrist by writing such a long article. But seriously, I've done worse. When I was young, I was riding this adult bike at a friends place. And fell off, seriously scraping my knees... Bleeding badly, I went back to the place where my parents were with their friends, and they went 'omg' and bandaged my knee. I then went to run a few streets with the owner of the bike riding the bike... Like wtf, I'm crazy? :P Normally you would be resting to heal it, but I believe that its better to take advantage of the hurt then in the future, you're less likely to get hurt... since you can have a higher tolerance of that pain :P (Now I know I'm crazy...)

1 comment:

Flo said...

*claps claps claps...* still could type so much--you overdid yourself too! in fact I pondered for a while before I left you this comment. :P err...you know, lucky you didn't die. *runs*