Friday, July 30, 2004

Abrupted (yeah I made that word up :P)

Today I got to work late... Normally I wake up at 8am, wash up, dress, and eat brekkie till 8:25, get into my car and drive 15-20 mins and get to work before 9.  Today I drove 15-20 mins to about 5 mins away from work, and what do I find? The bridge that was supposed to be worked on was shut.  Now, normally around these parts, they give ample warning, meaning signs and stuff.  Driving to work everyday I only ever saw ONE sign.  And it says 'Rawson Bridge closed on 30/7/04 - 01/8/04.  Now, naturally one assumes that it closes AT NIGHT, not on the ACTUAL day.  I think this has indeed caught many people off guard, as they all drove up to the bridge, and found an impressive barrier facing them... and some dodgy '<- detour' signs... now though I only drive one way to work, I know that there is no way that 'detour' will get me across to parramatta road.  It goes to another surburb about 10 km west.  So I did a turnaround at the roundabout and went east... straight into a traffic crawl.  I think a snail at this time would beat me in going 1 meter in 5 mins.  I seriously sat in that lane of cars for about 10 mins per 100 meters.  Turns out other 'smart cookies' decided to join this other particular street, which funny enough, intersects this street... so its like people competing to get through one way, using many different ways.  In the end I was 30 mins late.  Work was ok till a certain point, when we cleared up most of the incoming stuff, there was some engineers who put some spare parts back into the warehouse.  About 50 items, all individual.  And we had to find space for them, in an already cramped shelf space.  So we 'add class' (worked late) till 7pm to get them all in (and that was annoying), and then I went home via a new way - the way I came to work.  Except that there was one turn which I couldn't right turn into... so I got lost again.  So I got home around 30 mins later (usually I take around 15 mins max) and had some dinner.  Now I feel tired, even after a nice shower... guess I'll sleep sound tonite :P  What an adventure aye :P

No comments: