Saturday, November 08, 2008

A word of warning

My bloody motherboard is failing. Since I'm the type of running a computer 24/7 it's a good indication of whether or not a motherboard is good. Or maybe I'm just unlucky.

The problem first happened a month or two ago. One (then two) of my hard drives started to stop working. I thought, great, all that stuff died. But then I moved ONE of the sata ports to another one, and they worked. Amazing. So the sata port on the motherboard was to blame.

The same thing happened again today. It's another drive this time. The newest drive in this computer. I didn't think the MTBF for hdd was less than 1 year, so I was really pissed off. So I opened up the case, and swapped a sata cable. Well, I swapped it back into the one I had swapped it out of first time (in the previous paragraph). The hard drive started the 'ticking' sound... meaning that sata port is truly stuffed. So I powered down, and swapped that cable into another 1 out of the other 3. And lo and behold, it works. So out of the 8 sata ports I have, 4 are still fine after a year, 2 have died, and 2 I haven't tried (because they were purple in color, and I think have a different speed setting?). Damn.

I don't wanna upgrade my computer till the i7 is mainstream and cheap.... Oh well.

Apart from that, nothing else to report. The world is going to crap, and well... my world isn't getting any better :P.

No comments: