Sunday, November 16, 2008

Update again

Well about the motherboard failing, that wasn't it. After that post, the two hard drives linked to 1 molex plug to the power supply failed. So, in a flash of inspiration I disconnected both drives from the power supply and bingo, nothing appeared to be failing. So tonight I swapped my old but trusty Antec Truepower 480 and replaced the shitty generic 500w that this computer came with and bingo, my drives all appeared.

Next computer that I get will have a trustworthy PSU, that's for sure. Can't have enough as backup. Unlike the company that I work for, the IT department goes through PSUs like toilet paper. Once he bought 2, 1 to replace and 1 for backup, well, turns out he needed to use both when they arrived because the other PSUs were failing. Granted a PSU of good quality > $80, he bought the generic PSUs which were < $40. But the failure rate is much greater...

Yesterday I went to help a colleague move bricks. I don't know why I was so kind. The colleague is new to the company, and she and her family (and bf) lives in a newly bought place, and they are getting a retaining wall built in the back of their house. There's a tennis court and a swimming pool as well. They had 13 pallets of bricks, each brick is around 20 kg, and they've moved a bit before we helped yesterday. Well, we moved 4 pallets yesterday, leaving 7-8 pallets behind, and I have sore back. I'll probably try not to stand and sit too much tomorrow... Standing all day or sitting all day... probably standing all day is better. Getting old :P

No comments: